The Lotsenkreis Willkommenskultur is a network of various advisory services for people who are new to the Aachen region.
Are you curious?
For more information, including about further offers, please click on the individual members.
Aachen University of Applied Sciences - Student Service Center (SSC)
The Student Service Center (SSC) is the first point of contact for questions about studying at the Aachen University of Applied Sciences. We answer questions about application, enrolment, re-registration or student life in Aachen and refer you to the relevant department if you have any further questions. We offer our services in German and English.
- prospective students
- International prospective students and students
- Initial advising about studying at the Aachen University of Applied Sciences, e.g. admission requirements, application procedure, student life in Aachen
- Provide information about the FH Aachen
- Forwarding to the relevant service personnel
Student Service Center
Phone: +49 (0)241 6009 51616
Katholische Hochschulgemeinde (Catholic university congregation)
The Katholische Hochschulgemeinde (KHG) is a community of seekers and interested people at Aachen's universities. We offer space for conversations about life, society, and our faith and open up opportunities for interpersonal encounters. We are interculturally shaped, participate in interreligious exchange and are socially and culturally committed.
- Prospective students
- International students and prospective students
- Information and advice for foreign students on residence and study issues
- Housing, job opportunities, possible activities alongside studies and on personal, psychosocial, political or spiritual topics
- To get to know the programme of events for students and researchers at Aachen universities
- Residences for students of Aachen universities
- Events, discussion groups and groups with different focal points on interreligious topics
- Its own day-care centre for children of students at Aachen universities
Phone: +49 241 - 4 70 00
Newcomer Service Aachen
The Newcomer Service informs newcomers who have recently moved to Aachen to work or study about their new home of choice, gives tips and assistance for arriving and settling in in Aachen and informs about offers for new residents.
- New employees of Aachen companies/institutions & their families
- People who are interested in taking a new job in Aachen
- All new residents
- Newcomer Guide: Contact for all new residents
- Newcomer Fridays: Free monthly events to get to know the city and meet others
- Newcomer Tour: Regular tours through Aachen with tips for orientation in your new adopted home
Newcomer Service Region Aachen
Fb Wirtschaft, Wissenschaft und Europa
Phone: +49 (0)241 432 7667
Kommunales Integrationszentrum (Municipal Integration Centre)
The Kommunales Integrationszentrum (KI) of the City of Aachen works to promote social participation and integration in the state of NRW. The central approach of the KI is to network and manage all integration-relevant topics in the city of Aachen such as "integration through education" and "integration as a cross-sectional task". The tasks of the KI are performed and implemented by a multi-professional team.
- Newly immigrated school-age children and young people
- Adults with a migration background
- • School counselling and school placement for all school-age children and young people who do not yet speak German. Students are placed in international classes available at all types of schools.
- • Initial guidance: First point of contact for migrants. Advice on the following topics is available in Turkish, Russian, Polish, French, English, Croatian, Serbian and Persian:
- Practical everyday questions
- Search for the right German language course
- Educational issues (e.g. school, job and studies)
- Recognition of foreign vocational qualification, school-leaving certificate and university degree
- Questions about training, professional reorientation and qualification.
Phone: +49 (0)241 432 56601
RWTH Aachen University International Office
The Info Service Center (for students) of the International Office is the information and service institution of RWTH Aachen University for all questions and topics concerning the internationality and internationalization of studies and universities. It informs interested parties and students about programmes, application, admission and exchange. With a comprehensive welcome package and various offers it facilitates the entry and integration at RWTH and in Aachen and accompanies international students throughout their stay. If you have any further questions that cannot be resolved in the Info Service Center, the Info Service Center forwards them to the relevant department. The Info Service Center offers the service in German and English during official office hours.
- International prospective students and applicants
- International students
- Exchange students (Incomings and Outgoings)
- Refugees interested in studying
- International students with family
- Information on application, admission and topics related to your stay at RWTH, in Aachen and the region
- Information on studying abroad and exchange opportunities, scholarships, programmes, internships
- Support and events after arrival in Aachen and during the study stay e.g. Welcome Week, BeBuddy program, Facebook page, events, seminars, training and courses for all students in the Humboldt-House, the intercultural meeting place of RWTH Aachen University.
- Contact with and recommendations for service points, student institutions and student associations within RWTH and in Aachen
Phone: +49 241 80 90660
The branch office of the Ausländeramt at RWTH Aachen University is a service office for all aspects of residence law. In addition to issuing and renewing residence permits and settlement permits, one of its main areas of practice is advising on all questions relating to legal issues regarding foreigners.
- International students
- International scientists/researchers
- Family members of both groups
- Advice on all matters relating to immigration law
- Issue and extension of residence permits for the respective purpose of residence (for study, job search after successfully completing university education, for employment as a researcher, academic specialist)
- Issue and extension of residence permits for accompanying family members
- Open office hours for personal contact
Außenstelle an der RWTH Aachen
Phone: +49 (0)241 51983367
Aachen University of Applied Sciences International Office (AAA)
The International Office (or Akademische Auslandsamt = AAA) is a service and information institution that advises on all aspects of internationality and internationalisation in studies and teaching. It offers a wide range of support for all members of the university and interested individuals.
- Exchange students
- Visiting students
- International students
- Refugees interested in studying
- Advice, e.g. on visas, housing, language courses, summer schools
- Support for international students and guest students
- Leisure program for exchange students and international students
- Open office hours for refugees interested in studying
Phone: +49 (0)241 6009 51616
RWTH Aachen Welcome and Dual Career Service
The Welcome and Dual Career Service supports newly appointed professors and their families arriving in Aachen. We help with finding accommodation, childcare and choosing suitable schools for the children. The main focus of the service is to support individuals with their search for a suitable position in the Aachen region, and particularly at RWTH. We also support the partners of our international visiting researchers with finding employment.
- • Information and support on all aspects of housing, childcare, schools and leisure time
- Support with job search
- Joint development of application strategies, assistance with application documents, application portfolio checks, job interview trainings
- Facilitate contact to service points within RWTH
Welcome- and Dual Career Service
Phone: +49 241 80 99121
Pädagogisches Zentrum Aachen e. V. (PÄZ) Pedagogical Centre Aachen e. V.
The PÄZ is an independent youth welfare organisation whose main objective is migration and integration work as well as anti-racist educational work. areas areas. All of our work includes an interdisciplinary and intercultural approach. The PÄZ is a counselling and complaint centre for people with a migration history and their families.
- People with a migration history and their families
- Sinti and Roma
- Students with migration history
- Information and support for complaints against racial discrimination
- Legal advice on protection against discrimination
- Information and advising for adult immigrants, e.g. in matters of education, work, residence
- Information and advice for refugees on residence and social issues
- Therapy offers for refugees
- Support for victims of right-wing and racist violence
- Placement of language and integration mediators on a fee basis
- Intercultural child and youth work
Pädagogisches Zentrum Aachen e. V. (PÄZ)
Phone: +49 241 406500
City of Heerlen
The Newcomer Service informs together with partners like e.g. www.heerlenmijnstad.nl about the city of Heerlen.
- Future and new employees of Heerlen, Maastricht, and Aachen companies/institutions & their families
- Current employees of Heerlen, Maastricht, and Aachen companies/institutions & their families
- German freshmen at the Zuyd University of Applied Science.
- Information offered by the city of Heerlen
6411 HP Heerlen
Phone: +31 (0) 45 560 4050
RWTH Aachen Welcome Center for international researchers
The Welcome Center for international researchers offers individually tailored welcome services for international researchers and their families during the preparations for and throughout a research stay at RWTH Aachen University. Before arrival, we inform about visa regulations, offer support during apartment search and provide information about life in Germany and in Aachen. After arrival, we accompany you, if so desired, when taking care of necessary formalities and visits to authorities. Our focus is on the non-academic aspects important for your start at RWTH Aachen University. During your stay, we provide networking opportunities and events that are especially tailored to the needs of international researchers and their families.
- Prospective international PhD students and researchers
- International PhD students, postdocs, guest researchers and guest professors
- Families of international researchers
- Scholars at risk and refugees interested in PhD studies/a research stay
- Before arrival: information on visa and residence regulations, apartment search, insurance issues, certificates and their form and translation as required by the different authorities
- After arrival: assistance in registering your place of residence, opening a bank account, advice on insurance, tax, pension and social security issues, assistance during the hiring process and help for onboarding at the university
- During your stay: networking events (guided tours, workshops, excursions etc.); offers for the integration of accompanying families (e.g. German language courses, family breakfasts)
Welcome Center für internationale Forschende
Phone: +49 241 80 90679